Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Can You See It?


John 3:3 Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Born from above, or from God, is the meaning of John’s words. To experience this spiritual rebirth, a person must be completely renewed through God’s power. It’s not a belief or an understanding; it’s an experience of becoming right with God by faith in the work and person of Christ.

Sort of blows the idea of doing religion out the window doesn’t it.

Born from above, of God, a spiritual rebirth tells me that the life I now have must change – even dare I say my will, my rights, my privileges, and my priorities? My life. My self.

Apostle Paul put it this way: “My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20 NLT)

Paul is telling us how his rebirth looks in everyday life. My old self. Me, myself, and I. Numero Uno. This person that wants to do what he wants, when he wants, with whom he wants, for any reason he wants, because after all it’s my life and I can do what I want, is as if it has been crucified with Christ on that cross. But, it has risen again in newness of life just like Christ did after that cross. So the life I now live in this earthly body that is me, is actually Christ in me living out what He wants. Oh, this earthly body gives me a run for my money now and again wanting to do what it wants, but I live day to day trusting in the Son of God who is now my new life.

He also framed it this way: “For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Colossians 3:3 NLT)

You were supposed to have died to wanting your own way, you were supposed to have died to your earthly rights, you were supposed to have died to yourself when you were crucified with Christ; it’s not you that is supposed to be living this life, but Christ in you that is supposed to be living it! He is your real life!

Christianity has become a religion of crisis. We come to God when in trouble or afraid or in pain or heartbreak and want him to fix our life. But Jesus and the apostles taught us that we were supposed to give up our life. Yet many of us come to Him wanting Him to verify our convictions, our politics, our values, and our priorities thinking they are in line with His wanting Him to put His stamp of approval on them thereby fixing all our woes (or at least justifying our condition and circumstances). We need to be reminded that the prophet Isaiah wrote: “We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags.” (Isaiah 64:6 NLT)

I bring nothing to God but my old life, my self. And as much as I think I may be doing some things right, even well, it’s that old life of my rights and privileges, convictions and values I bring to Him to create new. And for all our attempts at being good enough…the writer of Hebrews quoting Psalm 46 writes: “When Christ came into the world, he said to God, ‘You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But you have given me a body to offer. You were not pleased with burnt offerings or other offerings for sin. Then I said, Look, I have come to do your will. O God.” (Hebrews 10:5-7 NLT)

Jesus came into this earthly life to do God’s will. He laid aside His divine privileges and doing what He wanted to do in this world (self) and offered Himself, innocent of sin, to the Father for us all.

Peter said this is how we do this: “[Christ] is our example, and you must follow in his steps. He never sinned, nor deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. (1 Peter 2:21-24 NLT)

To follow in His steps of laying aside our own life we start with:

He never sinned. We give up our life to Him and experience a rebirth into the Kingdom of God – not our will or life anymore but Christ’s will and life in us and lived out through us.

Nor deceived anyone. He didn’t look to stack the deck for Himself or sway the favor of anyone with false information or accusations.

He did not retaliate when he was insulted. It’s impossible not to offend someone along the way – we’re human. But when people got up in arms over what Jesus was showing them He didn’t retaliate to justify His position.

Nor threaten revenge when he suffered. Jesus knew He would be honored by the Father and He knew what trouble the whole world was in. Yet, He saw no need to threaten anyone with who would get the last word. He was not afraid of anyone’s sinfulness, hatred, or acts of disobedience and irreverence shown to God.

He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. In our earthly life we may not understand the timing, but in the course of history our life-span and what is going on in the world around us is only a vapor. And as Solomon said, “There is nothing new under the sun.” The world is not any worse today than it has been throughout history. We are just closer to our redemption and God will eventually wrap it up. We may feel that urgency, but God is always just and His patience, kindness, and tolerance lead people to repentance.

He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. This is what we are talking about. Our old life went to the cross with Christ. He paid for all its sins and disobedience there, once for all time. We can be dead to it’s wanting its own way all the time so that we can be free to live for what is right. If we want to be free to live for what is right and see the Kingdom of God come; we won’t see it by demanding laws or behaviors, theology alignment or what some call revival. We see it by submitting to truth: Jesus said, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Can you see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment